Wobbly Handle on Avocet uPVC Window
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

hutchy
Labourer
Labourer

Wobbly Handle on Avocet uPVC Window

by hutchy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:33 pm

I have Avocet uPVC windows that are about 10 years old and the window handles have gone wobbly. The obvious thing to do with most uPVC windows in this situation, (e.g. on this sort of you tube tutorials (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4M4y1KrG0), is to take off the back plate, and tighten the screws that lie underneath. The only problem is that the backplate is held down by the handle itself. Normally, the handle comes off when you undo the screws that lie behind the backplate, but if the backplate is also held down by the handle, it's a bit of a circular problem. The two images should show this. If I prise the backplate forward a tiny amount using a screw driver, I can see the screws below that I need to tighten, but I can't get at them because the handle pins down the backplate. I can't even spin or slide the backplate -  not without wrecking it. But of course those handles must have gone on somehow in the first place. Do you have any advice?
Attachments
window handle 2a.jpg
window handle 1a.jpg

It is currently Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:12 am