Wonky toilet seat.
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MrPhoenix
Labourer
Labourer

Wonky toilet seat.

by MrPhoenix » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:51 pm

Hi all, this is my first post so please be kind to me.
A few months ago I had a full bathroom suite fitted as an insurance job. I have been working away from home for the last year or so and wasn't there when the bathroom was fitted and have only just got back home to find that the toilet seat has always been wonky and loose. I have looked to see how I can tighten and adjust the hinges, but there is no visable screw or cap covering an adjustable screw on the hinge. Is it possible that the Monkey who fitted + assembled the toilet and seat fitted it wrong? Or is it possible that there is an internal adjustment screw that I can't get to.... Do I have to remove the toilet to get to this?
Please help.... My mrs is getting fed up of me laughing at her everytime she falls off the toilet. :wink:

If it helps the toilet is part of the "Luxury suite" from B+Q.

Regards,

Ash

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:52 pm

The monkey that fitted it would have used the normal screw fitting underneath the pan. There'll be one each side.

Oh and BTW they do come undone after a while if overexercised.

MrPhoenix
Labourer
Labourer

by MrPhoenix » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:03 pm

So does this mean i'll have to remove the toilet to gain access?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:14 pm

No, where the toilet seat connects to the toilet pan - look underneath there'll be 2 threaded rods with two large plastic nuts. Undo these and remove seat.

Tighten the screws holding the seat, then refit seat to toilet. Job done.

MrPhoenix
Labourer
Labourer

by MrPhoenix » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:16 pm

The toilet seat isn't actually attached to the bowl anymore... All that is left are the 2 hinges with the mounting brackets that the toilet seat and lid slide onto. The seat and lid isn't screwed onto the hinge in anyway. If I lift the hinge up from the bowl there is a threaded portion that goes down into the inside of the bowl itself, inside of there I can see a white plastic ring which may be the back of a nut. But there is no way of getting inside of it without removing the bowl itself. I know I might sound like a total baffoon, but I have been an Aircraft engineer for 12 years and I know i'm not missing something obvious as a screw on the lid.
Do you know the sort of fitting i'm talking about?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:41 pm

Well I guess if you hadn't used the term "monkey" to describe your fitter in the first instance and had been a little bit clearer with your original post then you may not have put peeps in a position where they might have concluded that you were a buffoon. Your words not mine.

Anyway. I saw one similar just recently although not from that supplier. It was designed so that the rear of the pan went flush against the wall and yes the seat was not subsequently adjustable because teh design was similar.

I persuaded the customer (who had purchased it themselves) to take it back and replace on two grounds. First the toilet seat would not have been subsequently adjustable without first unbolting the pan and decoupling from the pan connector. The second is immaterial to this thread.

However, the long and short is that based on your description and without having seen it it sounds as though, yes, you will have to deinstall the pan to get the toilet seat properly installed again.

Cheers

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:18 am