Wooden beam needs to present vertical face
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Woollie
Labourer
Labourer

Wooden beam needs to present vertical face

by Woollie » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:35 am

My garage has 'round the corner' doors that hang on a track that is attached to a wooden beam. The beam is attached to wooden wedges that were slotted into an 'I' shaped steel girder. This arrangement is around 40 years old; over time the wedges have begun to slip out of the girder, and the beam has begun the pull away from the wedges. The impact is that the beam face on which the track is mounted has moved from the vertical, and now has a lean of about 3cms, enough to mean that the doors are not fitting properly into the bottom tracks.
There are wooden joists for the garage roof that run at 90 degrees to the beam, so I wondered if there's a way of attaching something adjustable between the beam and the joist that would pull the beam face back to the vertical.
And I have tried to hammer the wedges back into the girder; aome don't want to move, one or two respond but then pull off whatever has been used to attached the beam to them.....

B4Less
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Wooden beam needs to present vertical face

by B4Less » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:48 am

Try fix an O ring to the beam and use a ratchet strap to pull the top or bottom of the beam back into pplace. Then use something to replace the rathect strap with ie timber fixed to something each end or steal beam. Not sure how that would hold out long term but may be a decent short term fix.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:54 pm