Wooden built extension on side of house
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
secreto
Labourer
Labourer

Wooden built extension on side of house

by secreto » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:35 pm

I am new to this forum and I am looking for some help if at all possible please.

My wife and I are looking to build a timber built extension to the side of our house the measurements are L 5.4 mtr and W 2.4mtr the height wil be just over 2mtr

If you imagine a L we will be using 2 exterior walls of the house and will build a frame around them. Inside the extension we will have a window and 2 doors aswell as frenchdoors (that are already in the lounge) and another door (already in the kitchen) I have read the terms on the planning website and from what I gather you don't need permission as long as it fits in certain guidelines. However I am a bit stumped about this

On designated land cladding of any part of the exterior of a dwelling and extensions with stone, artificial stone, pebble dash, render, timber, plastic, or tiles is not permitted development

I was hoping to clad it in plastic clip cladding and plasterboard the insides? do you know what I can use for the exterior?

Any advice would be greatly received.

andy01
Ganger
Ganger

by andy01 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:27 pm

talk yo your duty planning officer at yout local council for a definative answer.

if the exterior wall is within 1m of the boundary the external skin must be class 0 rated

secreto
Labourer
Labourer

by secreto » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:23 am

andy01 wrote:talk yo your duty planning officer at yout local council for a definative answer.

if the exterior wall is within 1m of the boundary the external skin must be class 0 rated

Can you please tell us what you mean by class 0 rated, what materials are class 0 rated?

andy01
Ganger
Ganger

by andy01 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:17 pm

basically its a rating system for how quickly fire spreads / how resistant a material is to fire.

part b of building regs

brick is class 0
untreated timber is not
treated timber maybe

google "class 0 rated" to find materials which are suitable

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1