Wooden Timber Frame Building Regulations
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dean123
Labourer
Labourer

Wooden Timber Frame Building Regulations

by dean123 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:40 pm

Went to look at a job, single extension over exisiting brick built garage. Plans are for a wooden timber frame construction, rendered on the outside. Im a bit confused and have never done one before. Please Help

andy01
Ganger
Ganger

by andy01 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:46 pm

sounds like you have bitten off more than you can chew.

my first thought is can the existing foundations support the additional storey?

this needs to be checked first

dean123
Labourer
Labourer

by dean123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:09 pm

Yes the foundations do support the additional storey

andy01
Ganger
Ganger

by andy01 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:56 pm

sorry i meant are the foundations capable of the job being asked of them?

ie if they are designed to supoport one storey what makes you believe they will support an additional storey? do you know the width of the foundation and the bearing capacity of the soil? or can you state it will be ok based on your own experiance?

if the walls of the garage are only one brick thick they probably wont be able to support the additional load of the structure above, due to flexural cracking rather than compression strength of the brick. i would expect the BCO would like to see some calcs for this.

tell your client to employ an engineer. let them lead the design, wall build up, interfacing of elements etc, and then you will know how to build the structure

if the timber frame is coming from a timber frame manufacturer they will not take responibilty for the garage walls, foundations, timber trusses, waterproofing etc.

can you clarify what exactly you are confused about?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1