Wooden wall panelling
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lynnarmy
Labourer
Labourer

Wooden wall panelling

Post by lynnarmy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:27 pm

Hello

I have been searching, without luck, for some pre-made georgian/tudor style wooden wall panelling. I now think i will have to build my own. does anyone have any advice or experience in this? Or does anyone know where i can buy some from? i don't know where to start!

Any help gratefully received

thanks

Lynn

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:48 pm

lynnarmy,
Depends what you want, if you want strip timber specially machined go to a local timber merchant. If you want panelling google thewallpanelcompany.
end

jackthebuilder
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by jackthebuilder » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:45 am

Hi Lynn

I built a 'court room' theatre set recently with panelled benches for judge, witness and dock.

I simplified it by using good quality 6mm ply sheets as the 'base', then chamfering one or both sides (as appropriate) of 90 x 22mm timber to 30 degrees, then fitting them together using a mitre saw to cut ends to 30 degrees to form rectangles. Then woodstain the lot.

The timber was attached by screwing from the back of the ply.

Although it was a theate set, it did stand up to close inspection (coz I'm sadly pernickety like that)!

You could use rectangular timber, then mitre-cut mouldings to edge the rectangles - like a traditional panelled door. As ever, it's not rocket science - it just takes patience and a decent mitre saw.

The big advantage of making your own is that the panels will exactly fit the space you have! If you fix rough timber straps to the wall, you can then fit the panels to the straps using some discrete panel pins.

Good luck! Jack.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:05 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:57 am