worcester 24CDi - problem with hot water supply.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
colcurly
Labourer
Labourer

worcester 24CDi - problem with hot water supply.

by colcurly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:30 pm

i have a worcester 24 CDi combi boiler, ( about 5 years old ) and it has started to play up, when we turn a hot water tap on, it fires up but the water stays wuite lukewarm, even though you can hear/see the boiler working.But when the central heating system is in use, and we use a hot water tap,the water temperature is as hot as it should be. ????

any ideas why this is happening. before i have to call someone out to
check it out.

Kenj
Ganger
Ganger

by Kenj » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:13 pm

This may be caused by the Gas Regulator ( which sits just above the gas meter) not opening enough on low demand, and so only allowing a trickle of gas to get to the boiler.

If this is the case you will notice a big difference in the flame between when water only and CH are demanded.

If the the Gas Regulator is faulty it will cost you nothing. The Gas supplier is responsible for maintaining this. I had this problem and the gas man came and replaced it within 3 hours of reporting the problem.

However, you may need to have an heating engineer verify the problem before the Gas company respond.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Diverter fault. Probably stuck in CH state - when hot taps is running does CH flow get hot ?

htg

colcurly
Labourer
Labourer

by colcurly » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:32 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]Diverter fault. Probably stuck in CH state - when hot taps is running does CH flow get hot ?

htg[/quote]

yes , the radiators feel warm when a hot water tap is used.
had it looked at this morning, but the firm now say the price for then doing it would be a lot higher than getting a worcester engineer out to do it ?/
cant believe it.
if it is the diverter valve how easy is it to cahnge it myself ?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Not too difficult, turn off cold water open all hot taps, drain boiler. Change diverter - renewing all fibre washers.

Turn on cold water and check thoroughly for leaks then re-pressurise system.

htg

phoenixlily
Labourer
Labourer

Re: worcester 24CDi - problem with hot water supply.

by phoenixlily » Wed May 27, 2015 3:49 pm

I have the same problem with my boiler, it's only just started happening about a week ago. The pressure dropped completely to zero after we had some pipe work done in the house, then after that we repressurised the boiler, but then the red lights were flashing on it. We reset it, but now the shower won't get hot. The pilot light engages initially, but then it goes out, as if it doesn't need to keep that water hot.

The sink tap in the bathroom will engage the boiler so the water in the sink comes out hot, but the taps in the bath and the shower won't engage the boiler so that water comes out cold.

The only way to get the shower water out hot is to run the hot water tap in the sink and then put the shower on, which makes the boiler heat up the water.

WHAT?? This is madness, surely? I've checked the tyre valve and there's air coming out of that (no water dripping) so that's fine, the boiler is pressurised to 1.8 ...

Does anyone have any ideas? Someone came around to look and suggested the water pressure wasn't high enough on our street so to contact the water board, which I have done anyway (two weeks before anyone can come out, so no harm done if I can fix it in the meantime).

Help gratefully received!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1