would fitting a pump help?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tony636
Apprentice
Apprentice

would fitting a pump help?

by tony636 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:15 pm

i have a bath that is supplied by mains cold water and the usualhot water from the cylinder. the trouble is the cold flow is fine but the hot is really slow, it looks like its supply to it is in 15mm from source.the pipes run under a floor that has been tiled,so therfore i am unable to run a new pipe.would fitting a pump help me out? thank you

steve the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by steve the plumber » Mon May 04, 2009 10:40 pm

It would be unusual for the hot water to be a 15mm pipe all the way from the tank.

You have two choices. A water pump can be placed in the airing cupboard but will need to be connected upto a plug or preferably the consumer board and operate using a 22mm connector which you will have to buy.

The second option is a shower pump but you would need to be able to get under the bath to put this is place.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon May 04, 2009 11:41 pm

Cold flow will be much greater than hot if cold is fed from mains and hot from tank because there is a much greater pressure behind it. Cold will be 3 or 4 bar and hot probably around 0.25 bar.

Is this a new fit? Are they 1/4 turn ceramic disc taps? Are the taps fed by flexi connectors? If its a new fit and the plumber used 15mm on hot and cold take him out and shoot him. Tank fed for either hot or cold to a bath should be in 22mm. Are there service valves fitted to both hot and cold supplies? Is the hot valve open or partially closed?

On the face of it your answer is to pump the hot but I'd be looking to your plumber to sort it out for you if its a new fit.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:58 am