Would it be Okay to Lay Laminate Flooring on Top of This Type of Flooring?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lovelldr
Labourer
Labourer

Would it be Okay to Lay Laminate Flooring on Top of This Type of Flooring?

Post by lovelldr » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:35 pm

Hi guys.

So, I recently purchased a new house, and am currently decorating the bedrooms. I was looking to lay laminate floor in the bedroom, so whilst decorating, removed the old carpet, and to my surprise, found that the floors had been covered with a sub-flooring.

It all looks to be fairly level and good, apart from one section, where it rises a bit above the rest. I would guess about 2-4mm... Here's some pictures of the floor:

1.jpg

2016-03-06 15.46.56.jpg

2016-03-06 15.47.06.jpg

I am reluctant to pull up the boards, as I'm not sure what's underneath, and don't any more hassle. So, if laminate is not an option, I will just have to revert back to carpet...

Been a long time since I laid laminate, so can't fully remember, but hopefully with a decent underlay, this floor should be ok?

Can people let me know their opinions please? The laminate I was looking to use is a QuickStep brand, and is 7mm boards (since not high traffic area). Would this be ok, or if I did go ahead, would thicker boards be recommended?

Thanks for input...

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tileclipproman
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Would it be Okay to Lay Laminate Flooring on Top of This Type of Flooring?

Post by tileclipproman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:56 am

The floors are perfect for laminate and bedrooms are low traffic areas so 7mm is fine.The makers would like to see a 10mm gap between floor and walls but tell you the truth no one I know uses such a large gap.In reality close cut joints seem to have no effect on the floor at all as long as you leave a joint to be siliconed.

lovelldr
Labourer
Labourer

Post by lovelldr » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:01 pm

Ok. So you don't think the board height difference is an issue then? What type / thickness underlay would you suggest to go for?

Would ideally have liked to rip off the skirting boards and put new ones over the laminate, but I've a feeling that if I pulled the skirting off, I'd have to re skim the walls! Lol. So will go for some sort of scotia

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Post by lets have a look » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:12 pm

your bedroom looks exactly the same as mine with the airing cupboard directly in front of you,mine was built approx 1940 if so you are right about no plaster behind the skirting boards,but if you took them off and then laid the laminate, the gap required would be under the skirting boards and if you bought a skirting board 10mm to 20mm deeper it wouldn't be a problem as it would cover the bare brick,

I also think that the floor is suitable but might have to shave a bit of the bottom of the doors.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:39 pm