Would oil based paint prevent this wear and tear?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
scg1889
Apprentice
Apprentice

Would oil based paint prevent this wear and tear?

Post by scg1889 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:11 pm

I painted some of my internal doors about 2 years ago with water based Dulux Gloss Quick Dry Wood & Metal. I'm generally happy with the finish and how easy it was to apply and find water based paints much more forgiving for any spills and cleaning brushes but on the edge of the door the paint has started to peel off. It does get a pretty hard life as it's our downstairs loo and have a young boy who'll open and close it in the area affected. The paint the previous owner had on never had this issue but had yellowed pretty badly.

So I was wondering would going oil based would be more resilient? Also I've heard not to apply water based on top of oil based but does the same hold true the other way round? I don't particularly want to use oil based if it'll only be prone to the same kind of wear and tear so just weighing up my options

Appreciate any comments. Pic below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Would oil based paint prevent this wear and tear?

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:42 pm

Hi scg1889,
From your picture it would appear that the hardboard face of the door is deteriorating on its edge. Suggest you cover it with a 1/4” white plastic angle which you may hay to let into the doorframe.
Regards S

chapcharlie
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Would oil based paint prevent this wear and tear?

Post by chapcharlie » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:09 pm

It's not the paint, it's the door edge that is broken. You need to add the base layer and then paint it again with any type of paint you want. The water-based paint will perform as good as the oil paint.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:36 pm