Yellow Tag on Valve With Baxi WM 40/3 OF
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
googleit
Labourer
Labourer

Yellow Tag on Valve With Baxi WM 40/3 OF

by googleit » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:19 am

Help needed ! My dad has a Baxi WM 40/3 OF . The rads come on when we need hot water only. We only have a complicated installation manual. The dials on the rads don't turn. Don't think they ever did.
Under the water tank there is a yellow plastic clip on tag that says heat on / heat off. Around a copper pipe. The valve turns easy when I unclipped the tag, turned to heat off & got hot water only. Result!
Until a electrician friend said you must Never Touch a Yellow Tag. It's there to stop you turning the valve.
I have googled for a couple of hours and cannot find any image or note about this valve or yellow plastic tags.
I've never had central heating. My late mum knew the instructions.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Yellow Tag on Valve With Baxi WM 40/3 OF

by htg engineer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:20 pm

Yellow is normally associated with gas, but doesn't appear to be in this case.

Theres normally a motorised valve, and I suspect this or the 2 or 3 port valve will be at fault.

The manual valve you have adjusted would have been set at mid point to give heating and hot water.

Look for a brass valve with an electric motor in top, near to the pump location

googleit
Labourer
Labourer

by googleit » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:17 pm

thanks for your reply. I have tried to upload an image but it doesnt seem to work.
I have looked for what you described but there isnt anything. I had just hot water on this morning & tested the pipe. The pipe above the valve was hot but below was cold. So I am right in thinking its water in the pipe, not gas ?
Is it safe to leave it turned to heat off ? Will it harm the central heating ?
Sorry I cant add a photo..

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:57 am

I think your friend may have assumed it was gas, when you mentioned a yellow tag.

If the heating is working then yes, leave it as it is until you get sorted. There's that many safety devices on boilers now, if it didn't like what was happening, the boiler would lock out on fault.

googleit
Labourer
Labourer

by googleit » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:09 pm

Thank you for your help.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1