Yep........ another Loft Conversion.
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
steveabc123
Labourer
Labourer

Yep........ another Loft Conversion.

by steveabc123 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:44 pm

Hi,
Im looking to convert my loft. Mainly for heavy storage, mostly books, so i will need to strengthen the joists (this much i do know). It will need velux windows, elec, flooring, plastering etc. but no staircase.

Because there are no changes to the outside of the house (and no staircase, only ladders ) i understand that i dont need planning permission but i also understand that there are regulations to meet still.

I want to make sure that i meet all of these regulations so should i hire a structual engineer, surveyer, council? I know people may suggest a builder will know what hes doing but for my own piece of mind i would like to know myself (maybe im just a control freak :-), plus i'll know which jobs i can handle and which to hire the relevant tradesman for.

Also will the job have to be signed off i.e. by a bloke from the council with a clipboard or something? This wouldnt be a bad thing because if i sell the house i will have a piece of paper saying that the job was done right.

I apolgies for my naivity and lack of knowledge but i would appreciate any help,

Thanks
Steve

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

loft conversion

by welsh brickie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:41 am

First contact architect for advice.

andy01
Ganger
Ganger

by andy01 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:39 pm

i would first ask the planning department, or look on their website for advice with regards planning permission, as this is free.

you right, you probably dont need planning permission as the window is probably permitted development

if its just for storage no need for a staircase, but dont save money and put your safety at risk, if in reality you will end up spending lots of time up there.

you will need building control and a structural engineer as the loads from storage - particularily books - can be quite high.

obviously everyone wants a good builder.

maybe try a loft conversion company as they specilist in this, they can also advise on fire regs with regards habitable spaces in the loft, rather than looking through the free and easily avaiable building regs yourself.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:51 am