DIY Doctor

Yep........ another Loft Conversion.

Postby steveabc123 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:44 pm

Im looking to convert my loft. Mainly for heavy storage, mostly books, so i will need to strengthen the joists (this much i do know). It will need velux windows, elec, flooring, plastering etc. but no staircase.

Because there are no changes to the outside of the house (and no staircase, only ladders ) i understand that i dont need planning permission but i also understand that there are regulations to meet still.

I want to make sure that i meet all of these regulations so should i hire a structual engineer, surveyer, council? I know people may suggest a builder will know what hes doing but for my own piece of mind i would like to know myself (maybe im just a control freak :-), plus i'll know which jobs i can handle and which to hire the relevant tradesman for.

Also will the job have to be signed off i.e. by a bloke from the council with a clipboard or something? This wouldnt be a bad thing because if i sell the house i will have a piece of paper saying that the job was done right.

I apolgies for my naivity and lack of knowledge but i would appreciate any help,

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:21 pm


Loft Light attic lighting products

Postby welsh brickie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:41 am

First contact architect for advice.
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Postby andy01 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:39 pm

i would first ask the planning department, or look on their website for advice with regards planning permission, as this is free.

you right, you probably dont need planning permission as the window is probably permitted development

if its just for storage no need for a staircase, but dont save money and put your safety at risk, if in reality you will end up spending lots of time up there.

you will need building control and a structural engineer as the loads from storage - particularily books - can be quite high.

obviously everyone wants a good builder.

maybe try a loft conversion company as they specilist in this, they can also advise on fire regs with regards habitable spaces in the loft, rather than looking through the free and easily avaiable building regs yourself.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:18 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics