130mm over Permitted Development, OK?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
generallee
Labourer
Labourer

130mm over Permitted Development, OK?

by generallee » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:45 pm

I have an extension which is 130mm bigger than the 3 metre limit (terrace house).
The planning are on my case.
Do you think I could run a grinder through the side wall, separating the outer course of brick from the back wall, thus making my extension, 3 metres with a rear garden wall only a few millimeters away.
I know it would leave only 1 course of block for the back wall, but planning are not being nice.
Any advice would be great.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 130mm over Permitted Development, OK?

by welsh brickie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:16 pm

Dont do anything yet,call a meeting with the planning officer and say you made a mistake on the floor area size,normally they will give you a bit of leeway.But each one is different.

tony.g
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tony.g » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:37 pm

It is not a criminal offence to go over the permitted development limit as you have done. The only sanction the council has is one of enforcement. However, Planning Authorities are constrained by government guidelines as to the circumstances in which they can issue enforcement notices. The relevant document is PPG 18. Googgle this and the document will come up. On page 2, it clearly states that; "it is usually inappropriate to take formal enforcement action against a trivial or technical breach...which causes no harm to amenity".
At 130mm, I think it would be easy to claim this is a trivial breach. Suggest to the relevant official that you have taken advice on this and that you will not be reducing the extension. My guess is that the council will drop the matter because, if they proceeded on this basis and lost the appeal (which they probably would do for such a trivial breach) then they would be liable for your/your client's costs of arranging the appeal. They therefore have to think very carefully before doing this. I have found from experienc ethat junior planning officers like to throw their weight around and threaten all sorts of dire consequences, but the final decision to take proceedings is never theirs. Don't alter it and don't loose any sleep on it.

gc9
Tradesman
Tradesman

by gc9 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:42 pm

There was a similar post that I saw not long ago. If it is just 130mm the council will not take serious actions. Just be kind to the planning officer and explain it was unintentional mistake.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1