15mm gas pipe, can I put water through it?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diyva
Labourer
Labourer

15mm gas pipe, can I put water through it?

Post by diyva » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:13 pm

Coming to the end of a long and problematic plumbing refit. The house is old, extended at least 4 times, has been flats, even a rooming house. It is 3 story but with 9 different floor levels which has made pipe routing a nightmare. One last prob is to get a 15mm cold (main) feed to a particular spot (which I have been dreading) but there is actually a redundant (capped) gas feed which goes there and I have double checked that there is no other feed onto it.. Age is unknown but prob 15y, its 15mm not half-inch, it was a job well done and still is. Temptation is to use it for the main. Old solder specs could be an issue but its not a drinking water feed. Somehow though, it just doesn't 'feel' right and I would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:55 pm

As long as the pipe and fittings are sound (will not leak) can't think of any reason why not.

A copper pipe is a copper pipe. It only becomes a gas pipe if connected to a gas supply.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bobplum » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:04 pm

cant see it being a problem
if its a straight run of pipe can you push 10 mm plastic pipe thru it and use the 10 mm as your feed assuming the volume of water will be ok for your needs if ok you can the fit on a 10 -15 mm fitting to connect on to the appliance?

diyva
Labourer
Labourer

Post by diyva » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:38 pm

Thanks for your help guys. I couldn't see what was wrong with it either but I suffer from cronic ingrained caution. I contracted this some years ago after a long stint working as a MechEng in Aerospace. If it don't feel right......

Thanks again

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:22 am