16amp Eletric Lead Cabel With 13amp Plug and Socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Expression
Labourer
Labourer

16amp Eletric Lead Cabel With 13amp Plug and Socket

by Expression » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:58 pm

Hi guys,
need a help with an extencional cable .
Would i make my own cable from 1.5 mm 16 amp cable and make on it 13 amp clasic plug and socket to it could work as extencional cable for my 13amp 3hp air compressor????
Thank you a lot for your answers

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 16amp Eletric Lead Cabel With 13amp Plug and Socket

by ericmark » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:18 pm

I have read and re-read and I can't see what the question is? I do see some problems which may arise as 3HP is very close to 3kW and it would depend on the motor and start methods but it could blow a 13A fuse and it could trip a B16 MCB and there may be a problem with volt drop.

But you don't say how long so it could be just one meter.

Compressors some times just de-load and leave motor running and some times stop the motor.

Using a three phase motor and an inverter you can run a 3HP motor without any problem. The soft start offered by the inverter and the output from the inverter can auto load the compressor once up to full speed.

However in the main a capacitor start system is used and the load can be quite high. A freezer has a compressor running at around 1/2 amp but start load is more like 10A.

Where the start load is high any volt drop on the cable can delay the motor reaching speed before the compressor loads up.

So you need to say exactly what you have and what your problem is. I could ramble on for hours and still not answer your question.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:31 pm