2 Gang Dimmer
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Armit
Labourer
Labourer

2 Gang Dimmer

Post by Armit » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:38 am

OK,

I know this question has been asked a million times, however, I want to make sure I get the correct answer for my switch.

I tried to wire up a metal 2 gang and a 1 gang dimmer yesterday, on all three connections I attached the red to the wavy line (I think this is the common), the black to L1 and earthed it to the metal plate.

This blew the fuse; So we swapped and put the black to the wavy line and the red to L1. This did not blow the fuse but the light on the 1 gang switch came on and stayed on, one of the lights on the 2 gang switch would not work and the other light on the 2 gang did dim and go on and off but flashed when at low light.

I then took the neutral out and attached it to a connector (on the 2 gang switch I attached both blacks to one connector, is this OK?). This did not blow the fuse but again the light on the one gang stayed on, but now none of the lights on the 2 gang worked.

I then assumed that I had broken the switch and realised that I should not be using energy saving bulbs. I changed the switch and the bulb but the same issue is happening.

Please help!!

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: 2 Gang Dimmer

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:31 pm

[quote="Armit"]OK,

I know this question has been asked a million times, however, I want to make sure I get the correct answer for my switch.

I tried to wire up a metal 2 gang and a 1 gang dimmer yesterday, on all three connections I attached the red to the wavy line (I think this is the common), the black to L1 and earthed it to the metal plate.

This blew the fuse; So we swapped and put the black to the wavy line and the red to L1. This did not blow the fuse but the light on the 1 gang switch came on and stayed on, one of the lights on the 2 gang switch would not work and the other light on the 2 gang did dim and go on and off but flashed when at low light.

l out and attached it to a connector (on the 2 gang switch I attached both blacks to one connector, is this OK?). This did not blow the fuse but again the light on the one gang stayed on, but now none of the lights on the 2 gang worked.

I then assumed that I had broken the switch and realised that I should not be using energy saving bulbs. I changed the switch and the bulb but the same issue is happening.

Please help!![/quote]

ARMIT
Get in an electrician 2 help u.
BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:06 am