2 Lights Off One Spur
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
xpatx2008
Labourer
Labourer

2 Lights Off One Spur

Post by xpatx2008 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:17 am

I have taken a fused spur from a double socket.
Where the cable comes out of the wall from the switch, can I split this into an IP rated box and run one cable to the rear ( To run 150w Spot) and another cable to the side of house to a normal outside light(40w Bulb)? I know both lights will come on with just the one switch , but is it OK to run the two lights from one switch and is my idea correct?
Also I've got a 5amp fuse in the switch, if I can run 2 lights from one switch do I keep the 5amp fuse or need a higher one?

Thanks In Advance. Patrick

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: 2 Lights Off One Spur

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:39 pm

[quote="xpatx2008"]I have taken a fused spur from a double socket.
Where the cable comes out of the wall from the switch, can I split this into an IP rated box and run one cable to the rear ( To run 150w Spot) and another cable to the side of house to a normal outside light(40w Bulb)? I know both lights will come on with just the one switch , but is it OK to run the two lights from one switch and is my idea correct?
Also I've got a 5amp fuse in the switch, if I can run 2 lights from one switch do I keep the 5amp fuse or need a higher one?

Thanks In Advance. Patrick[/quote]

PATRICK

I presume the double socket is on the ring main and tests have
confirmed this , so your spur is allowed.
you could downgrade your fuse to a 3 amp.
The outside work is an area of increased shock risk and comes
under PART P. I would advise u to seek the advice of a PART
P reg sparky.
u r on the right track with a suitable rated IP BOX.

BLAKEY1963

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:03 pm

Page 9 (i) Part P if attached to the outside wall etc. Not Part P. There is provisos if in not sure read yourself links in projects. Total is less than 1 amp. Divide watts by 230 to get amps. As to split it IP rating what IP rating I would think IP44 would do for most outdoor boxes attached to wall but if you fit junction box outside then it will be Part P. And of course all electrical work should be tested. You should complete a minor works certificate for all work although it does not have to be shown to anyone but ensures you have tested the installation as required by BS7671:2001.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:09 pm