2 storey extension-downlight firehoods everywhere?

Postby appinspections » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:14 pm

I'm having a 2 storey extension constructed, and I'm looking at choosing lighting. Want to go for compact fluorescent downlights (recessed into ceiling), instead of T/H dichroics.
These are likely to be used throughout, gnd and first.
Extension comprises: gnd-kitchen/diner, utility, hall, dnstrs loo. first-house bathroom, 1 bedrm, 1 ensuite.
a) is there a need for fire hoods?
b) how extensive are they required?
Obviously extension is to latest building regs.
Any help appreciated.
appinspections
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:17 am

Whats your building controls inspector/officer asking maybe worth asking them, See if they are happy that the 30 minute rule is complied with.
By what you have explained I personally don't see why you should, but It's good practice to fit them as they not only protect from fire spreading and heat disapating but prevent dust and muck collecting in the fitting from above.
Remember any insulation in the ceiling should be given clearance of 150mm from the fitting.
KB
kbrownie

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!