3 port mid postion valve versus 3 port, 2 position valve
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
djhowie
Apprentice
Apprentice

3 port mid postion valve versus 3 port, 2 position valve

Post by djhowie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:03 am

Can a 3 port mid position valve be made to act as a divertor valve or do i need to buy a specific item? Looking round on the net, a Honeywell V4044C1288 seems to be the only 3 port 2 position valve around, everything else is the newer mid position variety. Ive noticed some have 3 wire and some have 5, does this have any bearing on the matter and can one be wired to do the full switch and not stop midway? :?

[size=9]I wont go into great detail cos its complicated and you'll all think I'm mad but....

Im trying to source a 3 port, valve that does just A or B acting as a divertor so that i can switch between a hot water cylinder running a 3 bar booster and an instant hot fed from my combi outlet. (Its a combi, but Ive retained the hot water cylinder using a Danfoss control pack). [/size]

Regards Howie

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

Post by marrtin » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:14 pm

Well, basically, both the three wire and five wire versions of the valve will do what you want. The extra wires in the five wire version just allow the valve to be held in the central position. The three wire version is used in a "W" plan and is designed to operate either A or B ports, but not both.

Google for Y Plan wiring or W plan wiring. Select the Honeywell website.

Also, check the topic further down this forum "Nightmare system wont turn off" has information about valve wiring.

djhowie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by djhowie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:22 pm

Hi Marrtin

Thanks for your help with this one. Ive now got myself a 3 wire, 3 port valve off Ebay for £7.50. At that price I can afford to have a go and see if it works how i want.
Many thanks
Howie

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1