Adding a bathroom to an existing loft conversion
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
agnew14
Labourer
Labourer

Adding a bathroom to an existing loft conversion

by agnew14 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some advice on building control as I am finding lots of conflicting information on the subject.

I am in the process of buying a victorian terrace house that had it's loft converted in 1982. It has no building regs certificate as they were not required at the time. It is done to a good standard but is unlikely to conform to todays building regs, although it does have self closing fire doors and other aspects that do conform. It has a proper fixed staircase.

At the moment it is a large third bedroom and I would like to add an ensuite bathroom. I called building control this morning to ask them what the situation would be and they said

1.If the loft has no building regs sign off, even though it was done before 1985, it is an unauthorised development and not a habitable room.

2. if i put a bathroom in it would need building regs signed off at which point they would enforce that the whole loft be brought up to today's standards.

3. it can never be regularised as it was built before 1985

Are points 1 and 2 correct? I called my surveyor and he said no. I'm confused. I don't particularly want to take on the property if I am going to have to completely redo the loft.

Does anyone have any thoughts.

Thanks!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Adding a bathroom to an existing loft conversion

by welsh brickie » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:55 am

They cannot make you do any alterations to the existing structure if you dont want to.As the alteration was done before 1985,If you want it approved and upto existing building regs, then yes you have to do it.
You will only get a certificate if you conform to their recommendations.

agnew14
Labourer
Labourer

by agnew14 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:41 am

Thanks very much for your reply. Do you know if point one is correct. Without building regs approval, can it be considered a habitable room?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:36 am

they will state that the conversion does not confirm to current building regs,therefore it is not classed as a habitable room,but everthing does not confirm to current building regs pre 1985.They are covering themselves.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1