Adding a second light / double socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
varcarme
Labourer
Labourer

Adding a second light / double socket

by varcarme » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:05 pm

I have recently partitioned my garage (creating two smaller rooms) and would like to add a second light to the new area that can be controlled by it's own switch by changing the single light switch to a double.

I can see how I can take the live input (L1) from switch 1 to switch 2...no
problem.

But...rather than have to tap into my existing ceiling rose for the neutral circuit (I'd have to chisel out the ceiling in order to get from one light to the other and conceal the cable) is it possible to use a spurred 13A -> 5A socket (I have one very close to the light switch) to somehow feed the second light?

I've seen this done before but don't know enought about electrics to try something like that myself.

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:35 am

What you are talking about is a very dangerous practice referred to as borrowed neutrals. With the advent of RCD's in the main this has now stopped but every round again one finds one.
Many an electrician has had a shock because of borrowed neutrals and would like to cut the hand off the person responsible.
You may how ever use a fused spur unit to supply lights from the ring main providing it would not cause danger should the light be extinguished due to a fault with anything plugged into the power circuit.
So wall lights in addition to ceiling lamps would be OK but as I am sure you can see should someone be using something which is faulty and they get a shock the last thing they would want is to also be plunged into darkness.
Also remember once you alter any electrical circuit it must comply with new rules which basically say everything should have an RCD.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:01 am