All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
addypearce
Labourer
Labourer

Adding a wall shower mixer to bath

by addypearce » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi there,
I'm new to this forum but I was hoping that somebody could help me.

I have a 1907 house that I have just brought and I'm now wanting to do some work on the bathroom. The house uses a combi boiler. I don't really have that much plumbing knowledge but want to do things for myself.

I have got the new bathroom suite (bath, sink and toilet). I have had a look at fitting it all and am pretty sure that I can manage it. As I'm going to be taking all the tiles and decor down too I thought that it might be a good oppotunity to get a seperate shower mixer in such as this:
[url]http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=483&id=61071&p=http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9295666&fh_view_size=6&fh_start_index=6&fh_sort_order=1&fh_sort_by=_price_rrp_min&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=shower+mixer&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1207590600005&isSearch=true[/url]

Rather than this, which is there at the moment:
[url]http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=483&id=61071&p=http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9295946&fh_view_size=6&fh_sort_order=1&fh_sort_by=_price_rrp_min&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=shower+mixer&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1207590585195&isSearch=true[/url]

Am I right in thinking that I can run a T junction pushfit joint from the existing pipe. Take one end off to the bath taps and then the other end off to the shower mixer? I was planning on digging a channel out of the wall to run the shower pipes up in.

So my main questions were, is this a good idea? Going from one mixer type to the other and is using the T junction push fit a good idea? Also, do I run flexi pipe all the way up to the shower mixer on the wall?

Thanks for any advice and sorry about the long post.

addypearce
Labourer
Labourer

by addypearce » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:49 pm

Anybody?

Barry Bunsen
Ganger
Ganger

by Barry Bunsen » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:50 pm

I will give you a few thoughts until others warm up to the challenge.

If you are going to fit a bath toilet and basin as well as the shower remember it is a big ask for a diy person. It is possible but allow for what might go wrong.

Pushfit joins have been known to work loose though in theory they shouldnt and there are issues with earth bonding when you join metal pipes with plastic. Pipes can pass through walls using appropriate sleeves but thats not the same as putting them into a channel. A good rule is dont hide anything that you may need to access later for whatever reason.

I would at least discuss the tasks ahead with a professional plumber even if you still wish to go for it yourself. Good luck.

addypearce
Labourer
Labourer

by addypearce » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:52 pm

Thanks for the advice Barry. I have a builder next door so he has been advising me on a couple of things but I wanted as many different opinions as possible.

I don't really have any choice when it comes to doing it myself, as we have maxed out just buying the place.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:40 pm

Personally I don't touch pushfit fittings, so can't advise there.

Copper pipe everytime for me.

Teeing into 15mm pipes to feed the bath and shower will not be a problem.

Chasing walls for the pipes will be fine too - if you use copper, use coated pipe to protect against corrosion.

Hope this helps

addypearce
Labourer
Labourer

by addypearce » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:07 pm

Thanks for the pointer. The only reason I was looking at push fit is because everything I've read advises using them and I don't have any experience using copper.

I'll have a look about for how to use copper pipes though.

Thanks agian.

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:46 pm

use copper, much better. You shouldnt have too many problems if your suite is a straight swap, I am a DIYer and have replaced my bathroom in the last two months and it is fairly straight forward if you research what you are doing.

What are your pipes made from now? - it would make sense to remain consistent. Also you may find that your pipes (depending on what they are) are 22mm so make sure you get the correct sizes of things.

If i am understanding your flexi hose comment correctly I would forget that idea and use proper piping whether that be plastic or copper as you may find pressure problems otherwise..... personally I would also leave it all exposed for a while to properly test for leaks over a period of time.

cyclop.orangehome.co.uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Old house-new mixer shower

by cyclop.orangehome.co.uk » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:03 pm

You could probably manage to tee off hot and cold ok-you could also probably manage to chase out walls-I reckon the main problem you may have is getting your hot and cold pipes to exit at exact spacing,normally,150mm and also horizontal to thewall and in addition level with each other.This can be a fiddly and frustrating task so be prepared! Make sure pipes are connected right way round.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:25 pm