Advice for Soffit Downlighter Wiring in Porch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
giljonath
Labourer
Labourer

Advice for Soffit Downlighter Wiring in Porch

by giljonath » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me. I have an existing outdoor downlight in my porch. I would like to add a further 5 downlights spaced along my front soffit (see pic). These lights would be 240v led downlights.

I've shown a picture of the existing wiring to the light. Am I right in thinking that I can simply daisy chain in series from this light to each new light? Each light would have 2 cables (in and out) with the last light having a feed only?

Ideally i would like the light to come on via a photocell i.e. dusk till down. How does this connect in to the circuit? Directly from the existing feed wire and then start the downlight series?

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Soffit.JPG
Existing wiring.JPG
Existing light 2.JPG
Existing light.JPG

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Advice for Soffit Downlighter Wiring in Porch

by chriscba » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:25 pm

The sensor will have be wired in before the first (existing) light, then you can wire in the lights in series one after the other.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Advice for Soffit Downlighter Wiring in Porch

by Mr White » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:48 pm

Sorry to tell you but as your existing light is controlled via a switch indoors then so too would anything else you connect to the light, so in order for your photocell to work you would have to leave the porch light on all the time so it could power the photocell.

Your new soffit lights should be wired in parallel, not series.

In this instance I regretfully say I suggest you get a competent person in to do the job for you, but you could save money by drilling holes for the soffit lights (Time = Money) But measure twice drill once.

Posted 26/11 22:48

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:59 am