Advice Needed on Repairing Loose Vertical Exterior Facade Tiles on House
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JamieMartin
Labourer
Labourer

Advice Needed on Repairing Loose Vertical Exterior Facade Tiles on House

by JamieMartin » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:09 pm

Hi all. I'm fresh to DIYDoctor, and fresh to owning a house - we moved in just a couple of weeks ago. In the high winds last week a few of the vertical tiles on the rear facade of the house have come loose. One has come free completely (but is intact), and another has slid down and is resting against the ground floor roof below (see photos). So I have a few questions, as this is completely new territory to me:

1. Is it likely that these tiles were nailed in position, or held in position via gravity and the nibs (!?) sitting atop beams (or similar)? I assume the latter is an easier fix, requiring the tile above to be levered upwards enough to slide the missing tile back under? Or is this wishful thinking? If not, am I likely in for a tough time? Additionally, is it advisable that once the tiles are repositioned I should aid them with some adhesive such as Gripfill?

2. From the attached photos could you please advise what is the best way for me to deal with this? Will I likely need to purchase another (short) ladder and a couple of ladder hooks and sit them on the tiles of the ground floor roof (as seen in the photo) below the window? Or will me climbing up (via ladder) and then carefully stepping onto the ground floor roof tiles (and gripping onto the window for security) be do-able, or a big no-no?

As mentioned, this is a whole new world to me, and these past couple of days have involved me doing the usual internet searches to try and educate myself afresh on this subject. I thought I'd now ask you DIY-ears for more conclusive and concise information specific to my problem, and hope you can share your wisdom with me.

Thanks in advance! (PS - apologies the images may appear sideways - they've been added from an iPad).
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Advice Needed on Repairing Loose Vertical Exterior Facade Tiles on House

by welsh brickie » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:09 am

usually all the tiles are nailed to wood battens, obviously some were not,
You can slide them back into place, stick them with a blob of clear silicone, and squash it into position

JamieMartin
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Advice Needed on Repairing Loose Vertical Exterior Facade Tiles on House

by JamieMartin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks Welsh Brickie. This is also what others have told me in the interim since posting the question, so you've verified it for me. I just need the weather to play nicely to allow me to do it!

Jamie

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:36 pm