Advice on fitting a white bookcase around window in darkish room with dark wood furniture
Your comments on how to design the perfect home - And help others do it !

Endless_project
Labourer
Labourer

Advice on fitting a white bookcase around window in darkish room with dark wood furniture

by Endless_project » Wed May 04, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi all
I am new to the forum and was hoping that someone might be able to advise before I commit a heinous error.
So I have just finished redecorating the main living room of the house - had serious condensation problems. It now has oak floor and internal insulation on the external wall (plasterboard and foam). I am a bit of a mid century nut (the sofa will be replaced ) and have put in lots of wooden furniture. The room is quite dark and west facing - it originally had another window but an extension has taken care of that. To finish the room, I designed a bookcase which I am currently ordering. I have now got cold feet. I fear that a white modern bookcase (cannot afford wood) will split the room in two - dark wood and light laminate - and make it look awful. Additionally, I fear that building something around the window - even at 30cms depth - will make the room even darker. An online design person told me it is a no-no but they recommended getting even more free standing dark wood furniture instead (rosewood and teak) and I fear this will make the room hardcore brown and depressing. What do you guys think? Oh and to complicate things more - is adding a fitted bookcase on an insulated external wall ever a good idea - if thermal bridging occurs won't I get a very mildewy room with no way to shift the smell? Or am I overthinking this and should just jump in? I attach images of room furniture, wall and bookcase design.
Many thanks guys!

LIVINGROOM.jpg

window.JPG
window.JPG (19.07 KiB) Viewed 2223 times

bookcase.jpg

It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:55 pm