Air Vents for bricked up Chimney
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pauli
Labourer
Labourer

by pauli » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:08 pm

Can anyone advise me where I can get a plaster of paris airvent cover for my chimney breast? I want to be able to paint over this so the air vent blends in with the wall...help!!!

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:52 pm

I am not at all sure why you want to cover the air vent in your chimney breast?
The idea of an air vent, is to help keep the chimney dry - blocking the vent isn't a good idea.
(Is the top of the chimney weather tight?)
If you must block it, why not use a skim coat of gypsum plaster and paint over that.

pauli
Labourer
Labourer

by pauli » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:05 am

I'm not blocking the air vent, the fireplace has been bricked up and my builder has drilled a hole through for an air vent but it needs a grille on it to cover the hole and finish off the wall. The query was that instead of putting on a plastic or chrome vent, I wanted to put a plaster vent on so that could be painted to match the rest of the wall....

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:31 pm

OK. Well you should use a clay grill these paint up OK and will do the job. Do look at the weather proofing of the top - a lead cap or concrete plug to keep out the weather will make a big difference to the temperature of the chimney breast and will make the room/rooms adjacent far more comfortable. No point in loosing any of your heat up the chimney just to keep it dry.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:23 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:05 am