Alternative to storage heating. Help please.
Find help, tips and information on renewable energy sources such as solar, wind etc.... and also alternative energy & heating production.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
isabella
Labourer
Labourer

Alternative to storage heating. Help please.

by isabella » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:54 pm

Can anyone advise me please? I just bought an end apartment on the second floor in a block of 30 and they all have storage heating. I'm wondering if it's possible to change this to a more efficient form of heating without interfering hugely on the rest of the complex. Any advise would be much appreciated.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:36 pm

isabella,
Storage heaters are the most efficient heating method you can get. They may not be the cheapest or the most controllable but any other system will mean a lot of disruption.
end

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:01 pm

As you suspect, storage heaters are not the best deal, as you need to be a clairvoyant to know what tomorrows weather will bring.
You put them on the day is warm.
You leave them off the day is cold.
The best bet is a radiant heater, a quartz heater aimed right at you will keep you warm and be cheap to run.
Other radiant heaters will provide a more general heat, heating the room, but costing more to run.
It all depends on your life style, are you there a short time = quartz.
Are you there all the time = other forms of radiant heat.
Electric heating is good, in as much as, quartz, the heat is on the spot, it heats up quickly, it cools quickly.
Other forms of electrical heating take time to warm up and cool down.
I used to have a one bedroom flat, with a large lounge, I kept it warm 24/7 with two 500 watt radiant bowl fires, on all the time, controlled by thermostats set at 22C. leaving all the doors open so the heat could move about.
In the bathroom I fitted one 750 watt infrared radiant wall heater (not allowed now) It will probably be best to stick with what ever heating you have in the bathroom as today's regulations are quite strict and you do not want any accidents.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:04 pm