Another Lighting problem....
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TheAbz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Another Lighting problem....

by TheAbz » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:16 pm

I replaced a 3ft fluorescent tube (ceiling) with a new 6ft one in my dining room. The wires on the old 3ft were as follows: 3 earths, (none of them sheathed), 3 blacks, one of which had red masking tape that i assumed to be a switch live and 3 reds connected to one of those white plastic blocks.
I repleced the wiring like for like, noting down what went where etc and the tube works fine ......however I now have the following probs:
1: another 3ft tube in the kitchen doesnt work at all when the 6ft is either on or off, starter and tube are fine because i tested them on the old 3ft that i took off.
2: the light in the shower room outside doesnt work (was working before) but when the 6ft tube is switched off and the cord in the shower room is pulled on both the 6ft tube and the shower room light flicker.

I wired as follows: 3 earths into earth terminal. The switch live into the 'L' terminal and the 2 blacks into the 'N' terminal and the 3 reds are just out the way connected to the plastic block type thing.
I dont have any problems with fuses blowing or the like.
any suggestions?
Thanks.

mwilson75
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mwilson75 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:01 pm

check your connections to make sure you haven't got any of the wires nipped on their insulation

TheAbz
Apprentice
Apprentice

by TheAbz » Tue May 01, 2007 3:54 pm

I have checked..nothing like that whatsoever.
Could it be that somehow the switch live in the 'L' terminal is not really the switch live and that it could be one of the other two black wires which are in the 'N' terminal.

mwilson75
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mwilson75 » Tue May 08, 2007 8:51 pm

If the switched live were joined to the neutral "in" then putting the switch on would blow a fuse or knock out a trip due to a short circuit. If the switched live were connected to the neutral "out" and the other neutral connected to the fitting, then this light would work but any others downstream of this light on the loop circuit would not as the neutral loop would have been broken and with your fitting on there would be a live to each side of the downstream lights. Suggest you get a sparky to check it out.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:42 am