Approximate costs of moving and upgrading fuse box
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Vince Meakins
Apprentice
Apprentice

Approximate costs of moving and upgrading fuse box

by Vince Meakins » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:25 pm

Please note I am not qualified to do any of this myself and apologies if I have used any wrong terms – I need the costs for a house I’m considering buying. which is a three bedroom bungalow. Thanks everyone.

Cost of replacing a fuse box with a new latest type of consumer unit and carrying out a periodic inspection check?

Cost of removing the fuse box and installing a new consumer unit in the hall (10 yards away) and then carrying out the periodic check? Am I right to assume this will need an isolator switch to go where the fuse box originated from?

Finally is it possible to have everything moved (fuse box, meter, isolator switch from its current position 10 yard into the hallway - and what would that set me back?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:05 am

To give costs without seeing a job is impossible I would say in excess of £500 but it is the moving of the consumer unit which is the real big job.
Every cable will need moving to new location and likely they will need pulling back to some point where a join can be made which could involve fitting a junction box under the floor boards somewhere.

This could easy take a couple of days and likely two people to do the work so at £25 per hour x 32 so £800 labour + £200 parts (or more) so a £1000 could easy be spend doing something like this.

Where extensions have been built and as a result the DNO supply cable has been moved to new outside wall I have seen this sort of work. There would also be a cost in moving DNO supply and when one considers the huge sums that could be involved in a project of this type there is really only one option.

You must get some one to give you a quote. Working out where a junction box can be fitted and easy of access can only be done with a site visit. There are some flush consumer units with lockable face plates and other options that could be much cheaper and your only option is to get some one on site to advise.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:57 pm