Armoured cable to shed
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
inch high
Tradesman
Tradesman

Armoured cable to shed

by inch high » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:10 pm

Hi folks,

I've lay some armoured cable down in the back garden leading to the shed. It has a live and neutral wire, wrapped with what I assume is the earth,
What do I fit at either end? I want to plug it in to a 4-way extension in the shed, and want to plug it into a normal plug socket (if I can) in the house.

Thanks

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:39 pm

SWA cable is not designed to be terminated directly into a plug.

It need to be terminated using a proper gland kit so that the earth connection (using the wire armour as you guessed) is connected properly.

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:29 am

SWA (Steel Wire Armored) cable requires a gland either end. There are basically two types indoor and outdoor the outdoor has more bits to it. These are designed to go into a hole normally for a small cable 20mm. So either end you really need a metal box. For example a MK 13A FCU Metal Clad would be used on supply side and a MK 2G DP Sw Skt Metal Clad on socket side. These have holes for screws and really need mounting not left lose. Also a stuffing gland and short piece of flex with plug. Once a circuit is fixed it could come under Part P even if plugged in. Also depending on the size of the SWA you may need a copper earth. Normally we would use 3 core cable today because the regulations on earthing. I have left out loads there are many ways to do any job and loads of requirements like warning tiles and tapes special glands and cable joints etc. This is only the basics since I don't know exactly what you are doing or your knowledge. Not sure if there is instructions on making off a gland in the projects I have done that many I don't need them but you will need to look.

The use of the steel armoring as an earth is only allowed on bigger cables and I would expect you are well under the size permitted although the armoring will be earthed but not carrying the earth. Special brass bolts and earth rings will be required but I would hope there is something on projects.

inch high
Tradesman
Tradesman

by inch high » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:12 pm

bloomin eck!

That is well beyond my expertise! How much would I be looking at roughly to get a sparky to do it?(would one do it? or would they steer clear if a cable wrapped with the steel earth is frowned upon?) I'm in Manchester (so no London prices)

Thanks for your replies so far!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi INCH HIGH,
technically you have already broken the law by running cable out doors yourself (Blg regs Part-P.) you might get a leckie to take over. We are in {very} rural Kent, on coast (27M to calais-60 to London) & charge £30/hr as a guide. so how much work involved to connect to source as suggested via metal box to gland to and run from power in house with suitable cable & to do same other end at shed to say metal skt,& fused connection unit to light?
A days work plus some materials? £250ish ?
still cheaper than a service on my van!
regards SPARX

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:05 am