Artex removal -how to find out if it contains Asbestos
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Peterjhill
Labourer
Labourer

Artex removal -how to find out if it contains Asbestos

by Peterjhill » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:31 pm

Does anyone know how to find out if the Artex contains asbestos. The house is 1960s but we don't know how long the Artex has been on the ceiling

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:25 pm

Peterjhill,
Assume it contains asbestos and get a plaster screed applied over the top.
end

pbp
Apprentice
Apprentice

by pbp » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:17 pm

I would always assume that there is asbestos fibres in the artex and it will save you a fortune in getting it tested.

I would not recommend skimming over the artex as you will find that if it does contain asbestos and tougher regulations come into force then you might not be able to sell your property without then having to get it professionally removed.

I would take a look at the prjects page under removing artex as this product will keep the artex wet at all times thus making it safe to remove. Wallpaper steamers and solvent chemicals will remove artex but when it dries out and becomes a dust then you are in trouble.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:02 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:16 am