Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ruth2001
Labourer
Labourer

Bad smell from outside toilet

by ruth2001 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:28 pm

Hi
Have a very bad smell coming from the outside toilet which no one uses. I have been reading posts on here, and have now had a hose running into it to flush everything away, and have flushed the loo a couple of times with bleach. I still can't get the smell to go away. It smells like old cabbages, but not the same smell as when our drains blocked about 3 months ago. At first I thought a something small had crawled into somewhere and died, but the smell has been there now for about 2 months, so could not be that, unless the person who sold me the house has buried a few people under the house!
I live on a slope, and the drains un the garden are not blocked, and running freely.
Hope someone can help!

Bob Plum
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bob Plum » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:03 pm

The smell arises from lack of use - usually because the trap dries out and lets gas from the drains come up through the U-bend. All of the times that I have experienced sewer smell getting where it shouldn't, it takes ages to clear - it just clings for ages. But it does clear eventually.
The real answer is to either get rid of the toilet and cap the sewer, or to make absolutely certain that it is flushed at least once a week and kept as clean as any toilet in use - including the occasional dose of cleaner/bleach.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:12 pm