Bathroom Ceiling Mold Issues and Extractor Fans
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
spenno
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Ceiling Mold Issues and Extractor Fans

Post by spenno » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:00 am

Hi all. I have a problem with ceiling mold in the bathroom. The house is seven years old and this has been a problem to a degree for a few years. After every bath/shower the walls are literally dripping with condensation. I make sure the window is always open on the crack. However there is black mold and now an orange-coloured residue, dripping, on the ceiling. No matter what I do I can't get rid of it. It wipes down easily enough and I paint over it with anti-mold paint, but it's back within a week or two. The device in the third pic doesn't seem to do anything, if I'm honest I've never understood how (or if) it works. There's another one in the downstairs toilet. I think the controls for that one at least are in the kitchen, it has a few buttons but none seem to do a great deal as I've spent a while playing with the buttons then going upstairs to ascertain whether anything has happened. At any rate I can't hear if it's on or not regardless of what I do with it!
Any tips? The whole ceiling needs skimming and getting back to its original state but it seems pointless getting that done until the problem is sorted. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lindrickman
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Bathroom Ceiling Mold Issues and Extractor Fans

Post by lindrickman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi!
You should find a large switch above the bathroom door (outside of the bathroom). This is an isolator switch for the fan - may have been turned off. If there isn't one, then I'd recommend getting a new fan fitted. Given the surprising condensation in a relatively new build, I would suggest that you get one with a high volume extraction rating and set the timer for 10 minutes or so. Also, check that your vent is open on the top of your upvc window. Make sure you keep the bathroom warm (you might consider upgrading the radiator). I've solved a similar problem to yours in my son's house with no cavity walls and little loft insulation. I fitted a ceiling fan with 10min run on and persuaded them to dry the towels in the bedrooms. Still a lttle bit of condensation, but leaving the bathroom door open has solved that.
I'd recommend treating the mold, painting with bathroom paint with mold inhibitor and use a steamer to clean up all the grout joints and crevices round the taps etc.
Good luck!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:27 am