Bathroom fan/timer problems
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

RussJ
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom fan/timer problems

by RussJ » Tue May 01, 2007 1:59 pm

I bought an Xpelair CF20 extractor fan for my bathroom. It has a built in humidity stat and is wired using L/N/E plus an overide "switched live" from the bathroom pull switch. I fitted it and all was well....
I decided that in addition to the humidity stat, I also wanted a timer so that the fan could be switched on and would remain on for say 10 mins to clear the air so to speak!
I had a timer module left over from a previous project so thought I'd use it to see if I could incorporate a timer overrun. This module again came with LNE plus switched live. Output is L/N to the fan motor.
I cut the main feed to the fan and inserted the module wiring to L/N/E and the reconnected the fan again to L/N/E.
I cut the switched live and connected to the module SL input and fan end of the SL to the output. My thinking was that the timer would simulate the bathroom light being switched on and I'd have both the humidistat and timer functions. But it doesn't work! I've tried every combination of wires and I either get the fan running continuously or only operating when the timer is activated. Sorry its such a saga but I'd really appreciate some advice as to what I'm doing wrong... One thing that I've noticed is that the output from the timer is always live whereas I would only have expected live when the timer was activated?

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:42 am