Bathroom Redesign Project Potential PItfalls
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

Thintin
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Redesign Project Potential PItfalls

by Thintin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:31 pm

Hi.

I've done many bits of DIY over the years but never anything on this scale so I'm looking for experienced board members to highlight any possible pit-falls in my plans.

The master bathroom I've inherited with my house is best described as tired. It's a good size space (about 4m x 4m) with a complete avocado suite consisting of toilet, bidet, twin sinks on vanity units and a huge corner bath with matching ceiling moulding that contains the shower curtain rail. All walls are tiled floor to ceiling with a very dated green patterned ceramic tile, and the floor has lino over uneven wooden floorboards.

What I'd like (and many of you will recommend) is that I strip the room bare, pull off the old tiles, prepare the walls and start from scratch. Unfortunately my budget doesn't extend to re-plastering the room so I'm considering replacing all of the fittings and then covering up the existing tiles in various ways.

One of the main features I'm adding to the room is a stud wall that will enclose a walk in shower area on one side and provide a mounting surface for the new floating vanity units with basins on the other.

Where the original vanity units were will be a bath and the bidet and toilet will go to be replaced by a new toilet.

The shower enclosure will be clad in PVC sheets with a 1700x900 tray. The remaining walls will be tiled or wood clad over and the floor is TBC.

I'm adding a Surrey flange and pump to the water cylinder for a power shower and everything will have new taps and pipes where required.

It'll all be finished off with down-lights in the shower, over the bath and over the basins, and ambient floor lighting under the floating vanity units.

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:09 pm