bathroom to kitchen door
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kenny2258
Labourer
Labourer

bathroom to kitchen door

by kenny2258 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:43 pm

hi, i live in a terraced house, my bathroom/wc, is the old outside toilet and coal house. the problem i have is that the bathroom door opens directly onto the kitchen. when i bought the house,20 yrs ago, the surveyor advised to fit an extractor to get around the problem. due to building regs. over the years, it is now classed as illegal. can i get around this by putting up a partition wall with another door,in my kitchen. if so, what is the minimum required distance between the 2 walls. will i need an extractor fan in the space between the doors.

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:13 pm

Kenny2258

This is probably one of the biggest missconceptions I come across in Surveying. There is nothing in the current building requlations that requires two doors between a kitchen and a bathroom. infact if you read the building regs, part H - Hygiene, you can have a compliant situation if the WC is accessed off the kitchen and instead of a wash hand basin you use the kitchen sink! Hardly suitable, but compliant.

So to answer your question, you do not need to carry out any alteration works atall.

Hope this helps.

LCL

kenny2258
Labourer
Labourer

by kenny2258 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:41 pm

thanx LCL for the info, saves me doing work not needed. ken

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1