Bedroom Light Not Working
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Barry O'Brien
Labourer
Labourer

Bedroom Light Not Working

by Barry O'Brien » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:08 pm

I have an upstairs bedroom light which I can not get to work, the wiring is single core cable and the cicuit seems to be complete from light 1 to light 2, switch 1 to switch 2 etc, however when I get to light 5 the connection from light 4 to light 5 is there the connection from switch 4 to switch 5 is there, there appears to be a cable missing but I am not sure how to complete the circuit.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Bedroom Light Not Working

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:59 pm

[quote="Barry O'Brien"]I have an upstairs bedroom light which I can not get to work, the wiring is single core cable and the cicuit seems to be complete from light 1 to light 2, switch 1 to switch 2 etc, however when I get to light 5 the connection from light 4 to light 5 is there the connection from switch 4 to switch 5 is there, there appears to be a cable missing but I am not sure how to complete the circuit.[/quote]

BARRY O BRIEN
Without seeing how this is wired its difficult to comment.
IF as u say single cables r used , u could have an old
two plate system , where single neutrals come in and
out of lights to last light , and single live feeds were
looped at switches , then again , it could be different.
not quite sure when u say cables are connected
from switch to switch , light to light ect but
cables are missing

would depend how old your wiring system is.
If u get someone in , then your electrcian could
give u an idea whats wrong , but ask for a free
quotation first.

BLAKEY1963

Barry O'Brien
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Bedroom Light Not Working

by Barry O'Brien » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:51 am

[quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="Barry O'Brien"]I have an upstairs bedroom light which I can not get to work, the wiring is single core cable and the cicuit seems to be complete from light 1 to light 2, switch 1 to switch 2 etc, however when I get to light 5 the connection from light 4 to light 5 is there the connection from switch 4 to switch 5 is there, there appears to be a cable missing but I am not sure how to complete the circuit.[/quote]

BARRY O BRIEN
Without seeing how this is wired its difficult to comment.
IF as u say single cables r used , u could have an old
two plate system , where single neutrals come in and
out of lights to last light , and single live feeds were
looped at switches , then again , it could be different.
not quite sure when u say cables are connected
from switch to switch , light to light ect but
cables are missing

would depend how old your wiring system is.
If u get someone in , then your electrcian could
give u an idea whats wrong , but ask for a free
quotation first.

BLAKEY1963[/quote]

Thanks for your reply, without supplying a sketch I may be able to improve my description, each ceiling rose is connected from the first light to the next light each wall switch is connect from the first wall switch to the next wall switch and each wall switch is connected to its light resulting in 3 connections at each ceiling rose and 3 connections at each wall switch, until you get to the 5th and final light there is a cable from the previous lght to the 5th ceiling rose and a cable from the previous wall switch to the 5th wall switch and from the 5th wall switch to the 5th ceiling rose which is only 2 cables at the ceiling rose and 2 cables at the wall switch,

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:08 pm