Bedroom Over Carport Needs Insulating as Floor is Cold
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Colick
Labourer
Labourer

Bedroom Over Carport Needs Insulating as Floor is Cold

by Colick » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:43 am

Hi guys, new here but hopefully will learn something and stick around.

Just moved to a new house in October, it had our master bedroom over a carport which is at the side of the house.
The thing is, the floor is very cold in that bedroom, especially when the wind is blowing and when temp drops to freezing...
the temp in he room is at least 4-5 degrees below the rest of the house.

It's getting warmer and one of my summer projects is to have a look what's inside that ceiling. It feels like theirs not ALOT except cold air.

Anyway, if I am to do something about it, I'm thinking, pull down existing ceiling, which looks like tongue & groove, fill all the voids with a think 100mm foam insulation, (celotex or similar) then refit some sort of new timber underneath and paint!

What's your thoughts?
I'm sure it's not so simple!!!
Anh building refs I need to know, any fire prevention etc??

Cheers in advance :)
Colick

IgReilly
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Bedroom Over Carport Needs Insulating as Floor is Cold

by IgReilly » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:37 pm

Could it be that the tongue & groove is just a cosmetic thing? I would have thought that, as this is technically an external ceiling, that it would need to have a certain fire resistance (plasterboard won't do, and it would also absorb moisture). Have you checked if the T&G is hiding anything?

I say this because I just took a car port ceiling down as part of works to convert the car port into another room. The old car port ceiling was this mock (thankfully, I found after sending a small bit off for testing) asbestos board to comply with fire resistance regs.

I put a load of rockwool glass fibre type insulation roll between the joists years ago when I had the floor up in the room above the car port, and the difference in temperature afterwards was zip.

Colick
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Bedroom Over Carport Needs Insulating as Floor is Cold

by Colick » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:49 pm

No I've not had a look yet. Just recovering from a knee op but in a few weeks when I'm more mobile and it warms up a. It I shall get up there and have a look.

Are you saying that after you filled the area in your floor with insulation the difference in temperature was negligible???
Doesn't sound very promising if so.... :-/

Anyway I'm going to have a look round to see what fire regs I need to adhere to, maybe I shall put some fire resistant substance under the insulation and joists the something more decorative under that.

I doubt theirs any asbestos as the house is only 12 years old from new (I wish they bloody built houses properly nowerdays...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:54 am