Bent plastic pipe
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
slowmo
Labourer
Labourer

Bent plastic pipe

by slowmo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:56 pm

I am about to fit two new bathroom suites and have bought 25M roll of 22mm plastic Polypipe have found when peeling off a desired length the pipe remains curved. This concerns me as some shorter runs will put the connecting joints under stress. I have rung Polyplumb and they say that I should not as I have suggested apply heat from a hair drier as this will damage the pipe and say with indifference that they've never had any problem with it. The pipe in its curved state feels oval which only fuels my apprehension.
Can anyone straighten me out or assure me that this is OK ?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:49 pm

I wouldn't use it. Hep2O or Speedfit for me but only where it doesn't show. Its not just the pipe its the quality and reliability of the fittings.

But to your problem for shorter runs - buy some straight lengths then there is no problem.

Cheers

jmstyrrll@btinternet.com
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Bent plastic pipe

by jmstyrrll@btinternet.com » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:43 pm

[quote="slowmo"]I am about to fit two new bathroom suites and have bought 25M roll of 22mm plastic Polypipe have found when peeling off a desired length the pipe remains curved. This concerns me as some shorter runs will put the connecting joints under stress. I have rung Polyplumb and they say that I should not as I have suggested apply heat from a hair drier as this will damage the pipe and say with indifference that they've never had any problem with it. The pipe in its curved state feels oval which only fuels my apprehension.
Can anyone straighten me out or assure me that this is OK ?[/quote]

I had the same problem with coiled plastic pipe when I di my bathroom. I ended up chucking most of it away. You can buy 3m lengths from plumbcenter. As for the stressed joints it may be best to get round this using elbows. You can buy a rigid curve that that arcs the pipe over a long radius , that will prevent the curve being too tight and should minimse stress on the joint.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:31 am

Hi,

Yes a kink may remain,not normally a problem, just clip it regularly.

Also keep the coil in a warmish environment- tends to relax the pipe.

Hth

slowmo
Labourer
Labourer

by slowmo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:52 pm

Thank you all for those comments I think my fears are justified and will get some straight lengths to go with my Speed fit connectors. So anybody want a coil of Polypipe

watcha
Apprentice
Apprentice

by watcha » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi

I concur with previous advice use either 2 or 3 Metre lengths of plastic pipe, ensure you use quality fitting like John Guest and use a quality pipe slice. John Guest website shows all they make and how it fits together. Screwfix sells a reasonable variety of the speedfit items..... essentially buy quality and fit correctly. From personal experience I was not happy with Wickes pushfit tap connectors with service valve inbuilt - they leaked.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:06 pm

" .................................and will get some straight lengths to go with my Speed fit connectors.

If you are using speedfit connectors you must use speedfit pipe. Don't mix and match manufacturers - they are not always compatible and you WILL get leaks.

"So anybody want a coil of Polypipe"

Mmm - no ta!

Cheers

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:08 pm

"and use a quality pipe slice"

I hope you meant a pipe cutter like this one:

http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... ipe-Cutter

Pipeslices are for copper and don't work that well on plastic.

Cheers

slowmo
Labourer
Labourer

by slowmo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:03 pm

On the subject of a pipe slice (for copper) I used one on some 15 mm plastic pipe as at the time I hadn't a proper cutter to hand. It didn't cut it like it would through copper but did leave a nice rounded edge when I eventually finished it off with a stanley knife. The cut outer edge I surmised was then less likely to take a bit of internal 'O' ring with it when pushed into the connector. However this takes extra time and is not a guarantee of integrity.
With respect to mixing and matching I thought maybe I could use JG Super Seal pipe inserts to force the Polypipe into shape and also offer some extra sealing properties and strength as they should keep the pipe round within the connector - is this plausible ?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:12 pm

Coiled pipe is easy to straighten.

Cut to approx the correct length, and either connect to a hot tap or pour a kettle of hot water into the pipe. The heat will soften the pipe sufficiently to allow it to be straightened. As soon as it cools, it will remain straight.

Leaving it in the sun for a while (If you can find any) will also soften it.

The pipe will naturally relax to any shape over a period of time anyway, but it is not good to kink or strain fittings while it settles.

slowmo
Labourer
Labourer

by slowmo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:06 am

Thanks Plumbob, now why couldn't Polyplumb tell me that - is it so hard for them to understand that their product needs some manipulation prior to installing. Cheers mate !

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:10 am