Best Stats for Hunter Herald Multifuel Stove
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Allathan
Labourer
Labourer

Best Stats for Hunter Herald Multifuel Stove

Post by Allathan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:24 am

I have a Hunter Herald 8 Multifuel Backboiler Stove which is fitted and plumbed. A mate from London (Sparky) is to come and fit the controls. From the fitting instructions I need a room stat, timer switch, low level pipe stat set at 45 degrees on the gravity return making on temp rise and a high level pipe stat set at 90 on the gravity flow. Can anyone tell me the best (not most expensive) gear to buy for this job. Mate is arriving in 3 days so need to get on with the purchase now.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:40 pm

Allathan,
Not sure what you are trying to achieve with the thermostats but I would recommend you fit one recommended by Hunter.
end

Allathan
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Allathan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:48 pm

[quote="stoneyboy"]Allathan,
Not sure what you are trying to achieve with the thermostats but I would recommend you fit one recommended by Hunter.
end[/quote]

Stoneyboy,

Many thanks, have tried Hunter and they would not commit to anything.

The high and low stats are to keep the gravity loop (tank and heat loss rad) at between 45 and 90 degrees before allowing pump to come on. Also roomstat and timer to power pump as well. Pump is running 4 rads on its' loop.

I have been advised to get Honeywell gear as follows:

High and Low limit pipestats
st9100c timer
dt200 roomstat.

The guy in the plumbers merchant said this was what i would need but hes not an installer of any kind and the dt200 is 2 wire when the system needs a 3 wire stat (unless theres a weird way of doing it)?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Allathan,
I am sure Hunter list an optional thermostat for their stoves on their web page.
Your multifuel stove must have a permanent gravity loop feeding a heat outlet. Your pumped system may well be OK with the fire at 90% of its rated output but what happens if you have a power cut.
Bang!
end

Allathan
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Allathan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:16 am

Stoneyboy,

Yes you're right and my gravity loop does just that but the loop has to be be up to 90 degrees before the pump will kick in for the rads loop and returning at 45 degrees as well to avoid cold water return into the boiler. Effectively I have my hot water tank and heat sink rad up to temp before the pumped loop will come on. At that point the pipesats become "safety only" and the room stat and timer control when the pump comes on from there. Saw the thermostat on their website too but when I asked they said it was a stove part and not a roomstat and they couldn't help.

Many thanks

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1