Best way of accessing a cement mixer for building garden wall
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mada15
Labourer
Labourer

Best way of accessing a cement mixer for building garden wall

by mada15 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:15 am

Hello, I'm embarking on a small project at home involving the construction of a wall in the back garden. All the work I have done around the home thus far has been from following youtube videos etc. I m not a professional and building this wall is probably going to be the most complicated project I've taken on so far in relation to my skill set. Anyway, I'm going to give it a go. From what I can gather, I will need to mix cement for the foundations and mortar for the brick work. Apparently a wheel barrow or something similar is quite good for mixing the mortar but i'll need a cement mixer for the cement. I have a wheel barrow and a few tools so far but I do not own a cement mixer. I was wondering what the best means was of acquiring a cement mixer, buying, renting, selling? How big does it need to be for a small project like this one where I'm building a wall just over 1 metre high and around 3 metres in width? Thanks.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Best way of accessing a cement mixer for building garden wall

by welsh brickie » Mon May 02, 2016 2:00 pm

I would hire one

mada15
Labourer
Labourer

by mada15 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:30 pm

mada15 wrote:Hello, I'm embarking on a small project at home involving the construction of a wall in the back garden. All the work I have done around the home thus far has been from following youtube videos etc. I m not a professional and building this wall is probably going to be the most complicated project I've taken on so far in relation to my skill set. Anyway, I'm going to give it a go. From what I can gather, I will need to mix cement for the foundations and mortar for the brick work. Apparently a wheel barrow or something similar is quite good for mixing the mortar but i'll need a cement mixer for the cement. I have a wheel barrow and a few tools so far but I do not own a cement mixer. I was wondering what the best means was of acquiring a cement mixer, buying, renting, selling? Found some used cement mixers for sale pretty cheap. How big does it need to be for a small project like this one where I'm building a wall just over 1 metre high and around 3 metres in width? Thanks.

welsh brickie wrote:I would hire one

OK thanks, I had thought about buying one and then selling it afterwards, I suppose then I could still get my money back pretty much. Sounds like a lot of hassle though so might just rent one like you've suggested.

mada15
Labourer
Labourer

by mada15 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:49 pm

mada15 wrote:
mada15 wrote:Hello, I'm embarking on a small project at home involving the construction of a wall in the back garden. All the work I have done around the home thus far has been from following youtube videos etc. I m not a professional and building this wall is probably going to be the most complicated project I've taken on so far in relation to my skill set. Anyway, I'm going to give it a go. From what I can gather, I will need to mix cement for the foundations and mortar for the brick work. Apparently a wheel barrow or something similar is quite good for mixing the mortar but i'll need a cement mixer for the cement. I have a wheel barrow and a few tools so far but I do not own a cement mixer. I was wondering what the best means was of acquiring a cement mixer, buying, renting, selling? Found some used cement mixers for sale pretty cheap. How big does it need to be for a small project like this one where I'm building a wall just over 1 metre high and around 3 metres in width? Thanks.

welsh brickie wrote:I would hire one

OK thanks, I had thought about buying one and then selling it afterwards, I suppose then I could still get my money back pretty much. Sounds like a lot of hassle though so might just rent one like you've suggested.

Just having a look to see how much rental work out at. If its priced up as a daily fee, it could all add-up. If you can just rent it for a fixed price for a week or two then that's obviously better for me.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:07 am