Black Mould Bathroom and Ensuite and Bedroom - Help Needed!
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
irfy11
Labourer
Labourer

Black Mould Bathroom and Ensuite and Bedroom - Help Needed!

by irfy11 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:15 pm

Hi

Hope someone can help please

I bought a new house 10 months ago and have had it on lease and my the guy renting has just told me now that there is loads of damp on the roof went to have a look and it is really bad. See pics below. Downstairs is ok. Could anyone tell me what issue could it be roof or leak?? or is it condensation damp and need good humidifier etc?

En Suite
En Suite
Picture14.gif (12.05 KiB) Viewed 4400 times

Main Bathroom
Main Bathroom
Picture13.gif (18.93 KiB) Viewed 4400 times

This was not there the first 2 months that I had the house and when I bought it. It was put on rent and the guy has said it has happen in the last 3-4 months and did not bloody tell me !!!

I need to sort the problem out now but dunno what to do or where to start. Hope someone can advise here. Thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Black Mould Bathroom and Ensuite and Bedroom - Help Needed!

by welsh brickie » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:44 am

honestly with the ceiling that badly contaminated, its best to remove it and renew it,
The cause was probably drying wet clothes on a radiator and the window shut. I suggest installing a trickle vent in the window frame

irfy11
Labourer
Labourer

by irfy11 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:01 pm

Removing the ceiling breaking it down and replastering?

How mcuh are we looking at for this type of repair ?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:51 pm

a plasterer will probably charge you £200 approx. you will be able to claim on your insurance

Lord Larry
Labourer
Labourer

by Lord Larry » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:09 pm

It's been very wet and damp lately. I am not surprised that there is more mould about. The mould in the pictures looks like its from condensation forming. Its easy to check it. Get a low cost damp meter ( under £15 quid if you shop around). Test the wall for damp and write down the reading, then scrape away a small line of the surface paint and test the plaster under. If the reading is lower then it's not coming through the wall. Your tenants are doing something that is creating moisture and are maybe not heating and ventilating it enough. You should get a dehumidifier in and turn the heating up a notch. Close the bathroom door after a shower and open the window slightly to clear the moisture. Where are the clothes being dried ? Is there a lot of boiling of veg etc going on. Are any of the radiators covered.

JohnPhilips1987
Apprentice
Apprentice

by JohnPhilips1987 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:05 am

Ok, this is obviously an extreme case but I've got some bad mould in my bathroom and it looks like it's getting worse, are there any suggestions on how to prevent it in the first place other than open the window as the window is basically open every day and it still happens.. :P

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:57 am

don't dry clothes on the bathroom radiator, have a extractor fan fitted and install a trickle vent in the window

JohnPhilips1987
Apprentice
Apprentice

by JohnPhilips1987 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:09 pm

welsh brickie wrote:don't dry clothes on the bathroom radiator, have a extractor fan fitted and install a trickle vent in the window

Ah, right, sounds perfectly logical. Thanks for the info! Only really noticed it the other day, gathering in the corners of the ceiling and around the window. Wouldn't mind but I always leave the window open after showers and baths..

themoffster
Apprentice
Apprentice

by themoffster » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:42 pm

If you can afford it fit a tumble dryer too - that'll stop them drying clothes which will greatly intensify the problem.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:13 am