Block Wall
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andy2005
Labourer
Labourer

Block Wall

by andy2005 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post, i require some advice about building a block wall.
It will be a boundary wall approx 1.6m heigh at my rear garden and will be approx 5.5m long then a 90 degree cornor then approx 2m then a gap with a 2.5m wide gate which will need two pillars at either side (second pillar will be against a exsisting wall).

the back garden has a poured concrete slab right out to the edge of the boundary. ( not sure of thickness yet as was exsisting when i moved in)

i have a few questions:

1. I am planning on building it with 440 x 140 x 100 mm blocks, is this ok? Would any piers be required?

2. Can it be built on the exisiting contrete slab ( what thickness of concrete would be required)

3. If it is to be built on concrete slab how to I level it, I was thinking of making a support trench of wood and pouring a level footing above ground on top of the concrete slab)

4. Do bricks have to be used rather than blocks for pillars and piers?

Thanks

Andy

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:52 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:28 pm