blockwork shed
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lloydy b
Apprentice
Apprentice

blockwork shed

by lloydy b » Tue May 27, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi,i'm thinking of building a blockwork shed,it'll have to be single skin because of the limited space i have and was wondering what's the best possible way to obtain a damp free environment on the inside?thanks Lloyd

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

blockwork shed

by Perry525 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:13 pm

Damp is a matter of degree!
Blocks are not in themselves water proof, they will always be damp to a degree. They will shed water and while after heavy driving rain the outside will be wet, they quickly dry out.
If you make the base of the shed more than 6 inches above the ground and use a full size damp proof membrane, then you will avoid rising damp.
Make sure your mortar is up to standard and that there are no holes in the walls for the rain to blow through.
A steel shed will give you more internal space and will be rain proof.

alexgray104
Labourer
Labourer

by alexgray104 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:40 pm

We had a 24ft x 12ft block shed built using single skin construction. We used a DPC and the builders were professionals, so all the blockwork was up to scratch. However, during heavy and prolonged rain the blocks would let water penetrate through and they would be wet to the touch, although not actually getting to the stage of dripping. Our builders ended up rendering the outside (only cost a couple of hundred quid for our huge structure, so shouldn't cost a lot for yours). This stops the water penetrated through and creates a lovely dry environment. I suppose its how dry you need it. If it is literally going to be a shed, for lawnmower etc, then you could probably just get away with painting it, but if you're going to be spending any amount of time in there, I would spend that little bit more and get it fully waterproofed.
On the roof we used tiles with a breathable membrane underneath.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:01 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:47 am