boarding out a loft
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
edkiller
Labourer
Labourer

boarding out a loft

by edkiller » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:00 pm

:?:
i have just removed my redundant cold water tank from my loft and was looking to board the roofspace for storage, however the tank sat on a chipboard base which is nailed to three 5x2 approx beams. two of these beams are nailed to the longest upright part of the roof trusses (fink design) and run across 3/4 of the roof span and would obviously spoil the flat layout of the boarding.

my question is can i remove these without upsetting the strength within the design of the roof. house is timber framed and built around 1977[/b]

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:40 pm

Under no circumstances should you remove any part of a roof structure. Each and every part of every truss is there to play a part in holding up your roof and ceiling. When bits are taken out they must be replaced with suitable, strengthening timbers and the decision as to which bits to replace must be made by an expert. If you remove any structural part of a roof your house insurance is invalid.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm