Boiler doesn't fire often enough.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gwynbuck
Labourer
Labourer

Boiler doesn't fire often enough.

by Gwynbuck » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:49 am

Hello,
I don't know the make of our boiler and it came with the house - it is at least 12 years old. We have it serviced every year and it has been working fine until yesterday. They day before that, an engineer came around and freed up the valves on two of the radiators by tapping on them. He suggested that, to prevent further problems we put some Sentinel X400 into the system.

I partly drained the system- enough to empty the header tank and added the liquid. What happens now is that the boiler does fire, but not for very long and not very often. We can hear "gurguling" noises when it does fire. Is there air in the system and do I need to tamper with the pressure relief valve?
Regards,
Gwyn Buckley

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:56 pm

Gwynbuck,
Yes there is air in the system. You need to go round and bleed all radiators with the system off. If you can find the pump see if it has a speed control, if it has and it is not on max turn it up to see if it will clear the airlock you have introduced.
end

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:21 pm

It does sound like the system is airlocked, try venting all radiators and the pump.

What pressure relief valve ?

htg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1