Boiler header tank
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Edpaterson
Tradesman
Tradesman

Boiler header tank

Post by Edpaterson » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:01 am

Hi,

Is there a rule of thumb for calculating the vertical distance between the boiler and the expansion/feed tank in a vented twin pipe central heating system?

Cheers

Ed Paterson

Carl83
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Carl83 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi,

I dont believe there is

All boilers have a have a maximum working pressure so as long as the head pressure created by the height of the F & E tank does not exceed this I do not see why it would matter.

Most even specify the max working head in meters

10 M gives you 1 bar so you would have to go some to create something bad

As long as all system components working pressures are not exceeded then this would be fine

Edpaterson
Tradesman
Tradesman

Boiler header tank

Post by Edpaterson » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:54 am

Hi

Many thanks to Carl83 for the reply. However, my concern was focussed on the extent to which expansion of the water in the system when hot would cause an overflow into the header tank with the potential for siphonage rather than the pressure as such. The pressure is a factor which I had not considered so thanks for that.

Cheers

Ed Paterson

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:00 pm

Any overflow and siphonage problems are caused by poor system design specifically in relation to the positioning of the pump and its proximity to the expansion and feed pipe. Any such issues have no connection to the height of the header tank.

Carl83
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Carl83 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:19 pm

Further to Plumbbobs post

Cold feed and vent should be more than 12" apart

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1