Boiler in Bathroom
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bighoolio
Labourer
Labourer

Boiler in Bathroom

Post by Bighoolio » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:03 am

Hi

I have just has a gas safety check done which brought up that my boiler which is situated in my bathroom does not meet current safety standards and needs to be boxed in.

Im no boiler expert, and Im trying to understand why boxing it will will make any difference. Surly the box will have ventilation panels which will allow any fumes to circulate around the bathroom anyway?

Does anybody know what the regulations are?

Thanks for you help.

All the best

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:57 pm

Does it need boxing in for gas or electrical reasons? Electrically everything is in flux which at the moment two sets of regulations which can be used and the bathroom requirements change a lot between the old and new. Zone 3 will be no longer and as a result 3.5 meters from bath to supply sockets has been introduced. Now everything in a bathroom will need RCD protection including the lights. If anything electrical both under old and new needs a tool or a key to gain access it is allowed in areas when otherwise it would not be permitted. There is some interpretation required here and some people feel putting it in a cupboard will all it to be fitted. There is also manufactures instructions and electrically you must follow them so if manufacturer says its not suitable for a bathrooms then you can't fit it even if all else complies. Electrical Inspections are coded 1 meaning dangerous to 4 that means it does not comply with current regulations. There are also lots of old wives tales where some one thought it should not be done but that's got changed in the telling to your not allowed to do that it's against regulations.
There is also the Part regulations Part M, Part L, and Part P controlling use by disabled and heat conservation and extra dangerous electrical installation. Could be as simple as a switched spur unit needs to be one without the switch just a spur unit (701.55 (ii)). I know nothing about gas but electrical normally one would quote the regulation number or at least section under which it fails. Also loads of gray areas again 701.55 Zone 1 (vii) says water heating appliances fixed and permanently wired according to manufactures instructions my be fitted. I am sure it means those instant heat electrical boilers thats supply sinks is what it means but it does not say that. Be interesting to hear what the gas boys have to say. Have you read the instructions for the boiler and do they say anything as to where it can be mounted.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Bighoolio

Post by Steve the gas » Mon May 05, 2008 4:55 am

We need a bit more explanation from your gas safety check pls. But generally if your boiler is a room sealed appliance it is normally OK in a bathroom unless manufacturer's instructions state otherwise.
regards
Steve

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:40 pm