Boiler keeps cutting out
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wendfd
Labourer
Labourer

Boiler keeps cutting out

by wendfd » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:24 pm

We have a gas central heating system and our problem started last year, when the boiler and pilot light kept cutting out. We had a couple of engineers in, one who changed the wiring saying it was wrong? and another who changed lots of parts including the gas valve and it did get much better. In fact it was working perfectly between December and last week. Last week my husband bled one of the radiators, whether this caused it or whether it was the change to a milder temperature, I have no idea but since then, the boiler cuts out after being on for a couple of hours, sometimes sooner. The boiler and pilot light cut off. It is in fact the gas valve that shuts down and sometime you can't restart it for an hour or so.

Does anybody have any idea what this might be.

Thanks in advance

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:08 pm

I think you should get an engineer in who knows what he is doing as the two you have had so far don't appear to.

If the wiring was wrong from the outset the system shouldn't have worked until last year. By te sounds of it the second one was guessing and just changed parts until it worked! If that sounds cynical I'm afraid it is.

You don't mention the make model etc details on your boiler. One of the boiler guys like htg engineer or Steve the gas may be able to give you a good steer armed with that information.

Cheers

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:48 pm

Hi, not much to go on but if sealed system eg combi, bleeding rads may have lowered system pressure close to boilers cut out pressure.
If boiler has pressure gauge it should be at around 1.5bar with boiler on.
If under 1 bar needs raising with filling loop, unless you are sure how to do that correctly get a professional in as over doing it could damage boiler, also filling loop must be removed after use.
regards SPARX

wendfd
Labourer
Labourer

by wendfd » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi again,

The boiler is an Ideal boiler. Not a combi. It seems to be going ok today. It may be coincidence but seems to work Ok when its cold. I remember thinking this last december when it turned cold.

Your right, its funny how it worked OK before the wiring was changed. Mind you it did crash and bang a bit back then, I think that was our original problem.

Thanks for your replies so far

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:28 am

Its not that funny if he charged you for unnecessary work!!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1