Boiler pipework- Do I need all 22mm?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
emma80
Labourer
Labourer

Boiler pipework- Do I need all 22mm?

by emma80 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:56 pm

Our 15yr old boiler has packed up and I am getting quotes for a new Valliant and Worster Bosch. The pipe work coming out of the gas meter downstairs is 22mm but it looks as though is it only 15mm by the time it reaches the boiler(upstairs, 6m over). I have only been able to trace it upstairs part way where it is still 22mm but not too close to boiler.
The issue is that different people quoting have said different things about this pipe.
One fitter said if fitting a valliant i don't need to get the pipes changed but i would for the Worcester(due to connectors they have) and as the wider pipe goes through much of the house it would be fine to leave- just slightly lower efficency. The other fitters have said it MUST all be 22mm to do by the book. Typically the cheapest was the one that didn't think the alterations need doing.
I'm so confused- please help!

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:19 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm. The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

dunlop1
Labourer
Labourer

22mm pipework?

by dunlop1 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:26 pm

This is the first time I have ever replied to anyone on a forum so I hope this works.
The pipework size depends on the kw rating of the proposed boiler and the distance from the meter and also on the number of bends and tees in the pipework and if there are any other gas appliances in the property.

If it is a combi boiler the pipework will definately have to be 22mm normally write up to the appliance, to cope with the hot water demand hope this helps.

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:40 pm

Gas fitters i've worked with have always used 22mm - i think that the cact that the boiler has a 22mm connection built into its manifold is a hint at what is expected.

emma80
Labourer
Labourer

by emma80 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:37 pm

Thanks for your help- just had another quote today saying it should be changed so the overwhelming opinion seems to be that my bargain boiler man is happy to cut corners :(

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1